Saturday, July 17, 2010

All the women wear bikini's

Jim and I commented tonight on how diverse the population is and how everyone young, old and middle of the road seem to mingle together. Its easy and accepting here, just the way life is, it doesn't seem to matter what part of the spectrum you fall in. Generations are not separate they are all part of the same fabric in each family, neither kids or old people are treated "special" everyone has their place and is expected to do what they can for the family unit. They take care of each other, I think that is the bottom line.

Either the Italians know how to deal with stress or there isn't any. I guess I should qualify, everyone is expressive when they talk, hands flying and melodic voices getting louder and softer but the uptight, rigid and unpleasant looks I am so used to in the US are not here, I know I am not imagining it.

O.K. so this may seem like a small thing but to me it spoke volumes for self acceptance. Women here wear bikini's, or nearly everyone. It does not matter how old you are or how many wrinkles, its just the beach uniform. I must admit I feel a little strange since my bathing suits are one piece and the only women wearing one piece suits are usually at least 70-80 years old and even that is a minority. I'm even considering getting a bikini to be part of the crowd but have not bit the bullet yet. I've said it before but the people are so good looking, the Italians dress up and look incredible all the time. With that note its time for my beauty rest, I have a lot of catching up to do.

1 comment: