Sunday, August 15, 2010

O.K. I Just Love it All

As Jim and I took our daily 5 mile walk along the Adriatic beach in Senigallia we were discussing how this culture is almost communal and how much sense it makes. I love it that everyone mingles, it is very social, people do things together all the time. It it natural to be inclusive not exclusive even to strangers. I have not heard anyone yell or get impatient. We have not seen pushing, cutting lines, trying to get ahead or going first. In fact we both commented on how we have not really seen scowls, sad faces or worry. Even on the Autostrada where you can go as fast as your car can move there is a courtesy, I have never heard a car horn honk or flash lights to get you to move. Patience is expected in Italy and being on time is a flexible term. As we have crisscrossed this country I made an observation that most people live in apartements. Even all the new construction I have seen is large buildings that would hold at least 6-8 units, not huge buildings but two story rectangles usually close or in a town or village. Suburbs as we know them do not exist here. Italian people need to congregate and talk..., they all talk alot... with lots of hand motions but not with the bravado, obnoxious, demanding or the self-importance that is truly an American signature. One of the women we have gotten to know said Italians think of Americans as fat and loud with lots of money. I think that is a fair assessment compared to Italians.

So here are the top 10 things I like about Italy
Food is incredible
People are very friendly and considerate
Living and working are more balanced
Italians always look impeccable and are georgous
Language is easily approached
Italians are passionate and expressive but not obnoxious
Ecologically conscious
Family oriented
Incredibly beautiful country with magnificent art old and new everywhere.

So I came to the conclusion I love it all, the only thing missing is that all the people I love are not here with me.... except Jim




No comments:

Post a Comment